As work winds down and holidays approach, we encourage you not only to give the gift of reading but to give yourself the gift of a regenerative winter with these titles. Our team has curated a list of well-loved books to carry you and your loved ones into the new year.
1. Home in the Bay — Our newest anthology brings together pieces shared and inspired by Aunt Lute Books’ Home in the Bay project, honoring voices impacted by gentrification, colonization, migration, and homelessness.
2. Borderlands/La Frontera — Rooted in Gloria Anzaldúa’s experience as a Chicana, a lesbian, an activist, and a writer, the essays and poems in this volume profoundly challenged, and continue to challenge, how we think about identity.
3. Olivia On The Record — In the '70s and '80s, Olivia Records was not only recording and distributing women's music but also creating important new social spaces for previously isolated women and lesbians through concerts and festivals. Learn about the record label’s founding days with one of our bestselling titles.
4. Good Girls Marry Doctors — A collection of honest stories from a diverse array of powerful women, difficult and joyous, heartbreaking and hilarious. All of these are meant to remind those going through similar experiences that they are heard, and that they are not alone.
5. ¡Cuéntamelo! — A bilingual collection of oral histories from LGBTQ+ Latino immigrants including stories of repression in underground Havana in the 60s; Miami and the 'boat people'; San Francisco’s underground Latinx scene during the 90s and more.
We have many more titles ready to read by the fire this winter. Our books, as always, center on perspectives that exist on the margins of society. There is no better gift than to see yourself or your loved ones reflected in the gifts you give and receive.
P.S. Some of our titles are now available on Bookshop.org! While you do your holiday shopping, keep an eye out for us in their catalog.