We are excited to announce our search for a new Marketing Assistant. If you have a passion for our mission and for connecting with diverse arts and literature audiences, this could be the position for you. See the job description below!
Aunt Lute Books is a nonprofit, multicultural women’s press in the Mission District of San Francisco, within walking distance of the 16th and 24th Street Mission BART stations. Since 1982, we have published women’s voices that are underrepresented in mainstream presses by virtue of race, ethnicity, sexuality, socio-economic background, age, or geographic location. Aunt Lute’s titles include fiction, poetry, and critical essays by Gloria Anzaldúa, Paula Gunn Allen, Judy Grahn, Ginu Kamani, Audre Lorde, and Alice Walker.
We are seeking someone to fill a part-time position as an assistant to our Marketing Director; someone who has a strong interest in marketing, has experience with, and is interested to learn to operate in a non-profit arts environment. Our office is open Tues, Wed, and Thurs, from 10am-5pm. This position is currently remote with potential to move to in-person as safety permits.
The ideal candidate would generally possess the following:
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• A passion for our mission and an interest in multicultural women’s literature
• Attention to detail and strong organization skills
• Flexibility, motivation, and the ability to work independently
• Experience composing Social Media posts and images (and ideally newsletters)
• Willingness to support in community event execution
-Marketing Assistant Duties -
This role will involve coordinating with the Marketing Director and other staff to plan upcoming events, promote Aunt Lute’s titles, and expand our online presence. A Marketing Assistant will be expected to contribute in the following ways:
• Help to maintain and develop our website and online presence
• Establish relationships with constituents such as media outlets, academics, and community centers
• Create and distribute promotional materials such as social media and email newsletters
• Help to coordinate author readings/events, awards, reviews, etc.
• Support grant timeline tracking
• Collaborate with the Marketing Director to design and implement strategies to increase Aunt Lute’s profile as a publisher and nonprofit arts organization
Proficiency in web, social media, and some subset of the following programs would be desirable: Word, Excel, WordPress, Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva, and MailChimp.
As a small nonprofit, our salaries are not commensurate with for-profit companies, but our hourly wages are above minimum wage. This position has potential for growth.
This position will begin in October. Please submit your application by October 15th.
Schedule: This position is for 15-21 hours per week, including some weekends and evenings.
-How to Apply -
Email the following:
• A cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and how your particular strengths would fit in
• Writing/work sample including social media, newsletters, press releases or other communications pieces
• Please include names of 2 references (professional or academic preferred)
• Information about your availability
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
-Location and Accessibility-
The office is located in the Mission District of San Francisco near a MUNI bus stop and a 1 mile walk (10 blocks) from both 16th and 24th Street-Mission BART stations.
Our office is on the third floor, which is only accessible by stairs. (The basement, first and second floor is serviced by a freight elevator). The majority of our office space is on the same level. However, there is one additional step to enter the back portion of our office. And, we have a basement warehouse for our inventory which is accessible by both stairs and the freight elevator.